The most important part of surviving a gunshot wound is getting the
victim to proper medical attention as soon as possible. Chances of
survival improve the faster you get the victim in front of a doctor.
Only in a worst case scenario where medical help is not available should
you attempt to treat a firearm victim.
1. Secure the Area
Be sure you are not putting yourself or the victim at further risk --
you want to be as far away from the gunman as possible.
If the victim is armed, move the weapon several feet away and point it
in a direction where accidental discharge will not result in further
injury. Keep in mind that bullets will ricochet of solid objects.
2. Immobilize the Victim
Keep the victim still so as not to further aggravate injuries. Lightly
support the victim's head and keep it in alignment with the rest of the
3. Treat Breathing
If the victim is unconscious, determine whether the victim is breathing.
Check that the airway is clear, then tilt the head back and listen for
breathing. If the victim is not breathing then initiate cardiopulmonary
1. Be sure the head is tilted back.
2. Pinch nose and cover the victim's mouth with yours and gently force air into the lungs until you see the victim's chest rise.
3. Give the victim 2 gentle breaths -- each breath should take 2 seconds
4. If victim is still not breathing, coughing, or moving, then begin chest compressions. Rapidly push down on the victim's chest 1 1/2 to 2 inches between the nipples. Do a set of 15 pumps over the course of 8-10 seconds then give the victim two more breaths.
5. Repeat process until victim regains consciousness or help arrives.
6. Warning: Vomiting often accompanies CPR. Should the victim vomit, turn the head to the side and wipe off the vomit. Continue with CPR.
7. Take special precautions if the victim has been shot in the chest.
The information above does not constitute medical advice!! It is simply
an informational resource. Following the procedures laid out below may
result in injury or loss of life. By reading the content below, the
user agrees to:
to waive the rights to take action against the author;
to respect the rights of the author in the contents of this site; and,
to indemnify the author and his agents for any and all claims arising from
viewing this site.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]